September is World Dementia Awareness Month and because we know our members have a lot to contribute to the learning of dementia, during September DAI is holding a number of Master Classes and other events.
Master Classes: learning to live well with dementia
During September 2014, DAI is offering the following Master Classes for people living with dementia, taught by people with dementia. The focus of the Master Classes is on learning to live well with dementia.
Master Classes are offered over the Internet using video conferencing, and can be attended from your home, office, or can be set up and shown to groups. They are free to attend (ticket purchases by donations are welcome):
The classes and dates are as follows. For class times, descriptions and to register, click on the link provided after the class title. Australians, add a day to the following dates.
- September 3: I’ve Just Been Diagnosed. What’s Next? Teachers: Sue Stephen, Canada and Sid Yudowitch, USA Click here for class times, class description, and to register.
- September 10: My Conversation with My Doctor.Teachers: Dave Kramer, USA and John Sandblom, USA Click here for class times, class description, and to register.
- September 17: Advocacy and Speaking Out. Teachers: Kate Swaffer, AU and Janet Pitts, USA. Click here for class times, class description, and to register.
- September 24: My Conversation with My Family. Teachers:Dena Dotson, USA and Chris Roberts, UK. Click here for class times, class description, and to register.
Café le Brain
- September 16: Guest host is Teresa Zawicki
TOPIC: Dispelling the Myths of Dementia
Everyone knows about dementia, but few understand it. In this webinar we will talk about the popular myths of dementia, the research into dementia as it stands now regarding causes and prevention, the different types of dementia, and about the positive things that are happening regarding living well with dementia. Participants will be able to ask questions of the panel, which will be comprised entirely of people with dementia.
TWO TIMES FOR THIS WEBINAR:
- Northern Hemisphere: Tuesday, September 23 – 10 am, PT, 12 noon CT, 1 pm ET, 6 pm UK
- Southern Hemisphere: Friday, 26 September – 11am (Adelaide time) – to be confirmed.
Here is a summary of the programs and events being offered during Dementia Awareness Mnth 2014 by DAI:
- Master Classes: Four weekly classes on living well with dementia – for people with dementia, taught by people with dementia
- A Meeting of the Minds webinar: Tuesday, September 23 – Dispelling the Myths of Dementia – times to be announced
- Café Le Brain Memory Café: Tuesday, September 16 – Guest host is Teresa Zawicki
To learn more about these events and to register for the Master Classes, which start on Wednesday, September 3, please go to: https://www.dementiaallianceinternational.org/events/